The annual "clean up my cable bag" exercise
Every year I do a write-up on “things I like” which has a look at apps that I use on a day to day basis, my general workflow on processing email and work items, and most importantly - my Everyday Carry (EDC).
It's been about a year since I have gone through it, and finally got around to making some refinements - notably going with USB-C for all of my charging needs across all devices. The goal was to be able to charge any device, get smaller and more durable cables, and make the whole package incredibly light.
I’m pretty happy with what I ended up with:
Here’s the shopping list:
- Nite Ize S-Biner Dual Carabiner — to clip on water-proof pill containers (this one and this one) to bring heart medication everywhere. Unfortunately needed these days.
- 1ft Anker USB-C to Lightning — charge the phone or AirPod Pro’s
- 3ft Fasgear USB-C to USB-C Cable 100W Power Delivery, Right Angle — charge the iPad Pro, M1 MacBook Air or anything else USB-C
- 6” USB Type-C to Micro-B 2.0 Short Charger Cable — for some oddball devices
- Satechi USB-C Wireless Charging Dock — charge the Apple Watch or AirPods (Pro)
- Leather cable straps — because they are functional and look cool.
- Anker Nano II 65W GaN II PPS Fast Charger Adapter — this is a killer USB-C charger that's fast, can easily charge a laptop, iPad, etc and is the only charger you'll need.
- EverRatchet Keychain Tool - one of the best flat multi-tool thats a Phillips and flathead screwdriver, bottle opener, box opener, 7 wrenches, and more in a compact 20g footprint.
- Lumintop 110 Lumens Cree XP-G2 — I never realized how useful it was to carry a small flashlight everywhere, and I use this way more than I ever expected. Small, bright, it’s a no brainer for the daily bag.
- AirTag - because I may lose the EDC?
- Fisher Bullet-Pen — small, awesome for writing, and you just never know when you need one. Read a review here to see why this is the best pen.
Not shown that's also with me:
- Tom Bihn Ballistic Organizer — what I carry all this in (in my bag); however it looks like the Ballistic is out of stock, with production starting soon.
- KardiaMobile 6L — one of the unfortunate realities for me these days, I need to carry an EKG reader with me. While the AppleWatch is great for a simple and quick 1-lead EKG, this amazing gum-stick sized device can do a medical grade 6-lead EKG that’s easily sharable with my doctors.
- AirPods Pro — essential for 2021.
- InCase Airpods Pro Case — really like the Woolenex case over the rubber ones that pick up all sorts of pocket lint. Works great with wireless charging as well.
- Lochby Pocket Journal — amazing quality ultra portable field journal case. Also added this paracord keychain lanyard.
- Field Notes Dot Grid Pitch Black — Dot Grid notebooks are superior, and Field Notes makes the best ones which fit beautifully in the Lochby.
- Pete’s Pirate Life — Challenge Coin — yo ho yo ho.